February 6, 2015

Pizza Rolls

In my husband's words tonight: "Babe, if there are pizza rolls in heaven, these are them".


If you're looking for something healthy, turn around right now...


If you're looking for fun, easy, delicious, fuss-free you've come to the right place.


At our house Friday night is pizza and family movie night.
I love it because I always know what I'm making for dinner on Fridays (does anyone else struggle with that?)
My 3yo loves it because, well 
PIZZA
MOVIE
AND he gets to eat somewhere besides the kitchen:)


I usually make the pizza, it's cheap and my 3yo loves helping me add toppings.

Usually it's just pizza and breadsticks, but sometimes I like to change it up a bit by making it on the grill, using leftovers (last week was balsamic pork, carmelized onions, and spinach on a whole wheat crust), or, like tonight, a childhood favorite, pizza rolls.



If you're scared of yeast, this recipe is a good place to start. In my experience, it's very forgiving. :)

I think my mom makes 2 pans of pizza rolls and 1 pan of breadsticks out of this recipe... but I only have 2 pans and I haven't felt like adjusting the recipe, so I just make 2 pans of pizza rolls.



In stand mixer combine:
3 c very warm water
2 Tbsp yeast
4 Tbsp sugar
Let raise 10 min 

Add:
1 Tbsp salt
2 Tbsp shortening

Then, 1 cup at a time Add:
7-8 cups flour
Enough that dough is soft, but workable. 
I usually use 1/3-1/2 whole wheat flour in order to increase the nutritional value a little bit ;)

Knead for 15 min. in stand mixer
Then roll out onto pans. 


Top with Garlic Salt, Italian Seasoning, Parmesan Cheese, Shredded Cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, pepperjack, monterey jack are all great choices I like to combine 2-3), Pepperoni

Roll up into a log and slice, cinnamon roll style


Let raise about 15-30 min.

Bake at 375 for abt 20 min

Serve with Pizza Sauce, Alfredo, or Ranch.



I highly recommend my Zyliss Pizza Wheel and a small rolling pin for rolling dough on a baking sheet.

No comments:

Post a Comment